Re: ulimit -a: -r vs -N [was Re: pkgsrc patches for zsh]

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:37:11 +0200
Thomas Klausner <tk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A couple of days ago I noticed that 'ulimit -a' is now different (on
> NetBSD-6.99.44/x86_64 with zsh-5.0.5); see in the old mail below what
> it looked like before:
>
> -t: cpu time (seconds)              unlimited
> -f: file size (blocks)              unlimited
> -d: data seg size (kbytes)          262144
> -s: stack size (kbytes)             4096
> -c: core file size (blocks)         unlimited
> -m: resident set size (kbytes)      32485916
> -l: locked-in-memory size (kbytes)  10828638
> -u: processes                       160
> -n: file descriptors                128
> -b: socket buffer size (bytes)      unlimited
> -v: virtual memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
> -N 11:                              160
>
> It seems "-r" was replaced with "-N", and no help string is supplied.
>
> I've also tried zsh git head and see the same issue there.
>
> You probably know better where to look for this.

That means it hasn't identified limit 11 as being associated with
what it thinks -r was previously associated with; because it's now
a generic limit it just blindly adds it without a help string.

Sorry, I don't have access to NetBSD so not only don't I know what the
problem is I don't even know that it *is* a problem --- it's a problem
if someone thinks -N 11 is the same as -r, in which this needs
an appropriate test; or, if -N 11 is new, if that should be associated
with some other option.

Someone who does know NetBSD will have to tell me what needs doing.

In Src/rlimits.c, the only case for handling -r is currently marked as:

# ifdef HAVE_RLIMIT_RTPRIO
    case RLIMIT_RTPRIO:
	if (head)
	    printf("-r: max rt priority                 ");
	break;
# endif /* HAVE_RLIMIT_RTPRIO */

Those definitions come from a set of tests in configure.ac loooking like

zsh_LIMIT_PRESENT(RLIMIT_RTPRIO)

which are basically identical for all limits apart from the name ---
they basically look to see if a value for RLIMIT_RTPRIO is defined
in the headers.  The headers are presumably correct as the other limits
are there.

pws