Discussion of path search for builtin utilities

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 23:29:29 +0200
From: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@xxxxxxxx>
To: Philip Guenther <guenther@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: austin-group-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: what does XCU 2.9.1.1 part 1.d.i.a. mean?  Does anyone follow it?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:54:32AM -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
> XCU 2.9.1.1 describes how the shell does command seach and execution.  To
> quote:
> ------
> 1. If the command name does not contain any <slash> characters, the first
>    successful step in the following sequence shall occur:
>     a.  If the command name matches the name of a special built-in
>         utility, that special built-in utility shall be invoked.
>     b.  If the command name matches the name of a function known to
>         this shell, the function shall be invoked as described in
>         Section 2.9.5. If the implementation has provided a standard
>         utility in the form of a function, it shall not be recognized
>         at this point. It shall be invoked in conjunction with the path
>         search in step 1.d.
>     c.  If the command name matches the name of a utility listed in the
>         following table, that utility shall be invoked.
>                 alias        false       jobs       read         wait
>                 bg           fc          kill       true
>                 cd           fg          newgrp     umask
>                 command      getopts     pwd        unalias
>     d.  Otherwise, the command shall be searched for using the PATH
>         environment variable as described in XBD Chapter 8:
>      i. If the search is successful:
>         a. If the system has implemented the utility as a regular
>            built-in or as a shell function, it shall be invoked at this
>            point in the path search.
>         b. Otherwise, the shell executes the utility in a separate utility
>            environment (see Section 2.12) with actions equivalent to
>            calling the execl() function as defined in <...>
>      ii. If the search is unsuccessful, the command shall fail with an
>          exit status of 127 and the shell shall write an error message.
> ------

> Okay, so consider a shell which has 'test' as a built-in.  It's not
> special, let's assume there's no function definition, and its not in the
> list in 1.c, so the shell has to do a search of $PATH per 1.d.

> Question 1)
>    Part 1.d.i.a. *doesn't* refer to the search finding the utility in any
>    particular directory, such as a directory in the PATH required for
>    standards compliance.  So it doesn't matter if it found a completely
>    different version of the utility; it can/should still invoke the
>    (standard-behaving) built-in version.  Is that correct?

> Question 2)
>    Part 1.d.ii says that if you override PATH with one that doesn't
>    include (versions of) the standard utilties, then built-ins not listed
>    in part 1c must not be invoked by the shell.  For example, assuming
>    $HOME/empty doesn't exist and can be created, then this:
> 	mkdir $HOME/empty
> 	( unset -f test; PATH=$HOME/empty; test -d $HOME/empty )
> 	echo $?
>    must output "127".  Is that correct?

> Checking of a few systems (linux, solaris 10, Mac OSX) find they seem to
> answer my questions 1 and 2 with "yes" and "no", respectively.  That is,
> [...]

ksh93 implements 1.d.i.a for some builtins, although it also has some
builtins (POSIX and other) that are not found via PATH.

For example, ksh93 Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01 from FreeBSD ports can do
things like (after creating an executable named /opt/ast/bin/cat):

$ command -V cat
cat is a tracked alias for /bin/cat
$ (PATH=/opt/ast/bin:$PATH; command -V cat)
cat is a shell builtin version of /opt/ast/bin/cat
$ (PATH=/opt/ast/bin:$PATH; cat -\?)
Usage: cat [-bdenstuvABDERST] [file ...]
$ cat -\?
cat: illegal option -- ?
usage: cat [-belnstuv] [file ...]
$ PATH=/var/empty cat -\?
ksh93: cat: not found [No such file or directory]

I think this is what is meant by 1.d.i.a.

This ksh93 feature allows scripts to opt-in to builtins that may not be
compatible with the utilities provided with the system (for example, the
builtin version does not support FreeBSD's -l option). For a shell that
is more tightly coupled with the rest of the system, this seems less
useful.

The apparent goal of allowing applications to be certain of invoking
their own executables is not achieved by almost all shells, and may not
be desirable either (how about calling utilities implemented as shell
scripts using a non-standard PATH?).

--
Jilles Tjoelker