Re: segmentation fault with {1..1234567}

On 2014-07-06 12:46:00 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jul 6,  2:09am, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> }
> } I've reported the bug on the Debian BTS:
> }
> }   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=753906
>
> Does that actually help?  Will they fix it without an upstream patch?

Since you couldn't reproduce the problem, it could have been dependent
on configure options (another problem is that zsh doesn't have a BTS,
so that it becomes difficult to track bugs).

On 2014-07-06 09:16:09 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jul 6,  1:39am, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> } Subject: Re: segmentation fault with {1..1234567}
> }
> } On 2014-07-05 09:57:03 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } >
> } > Then it's probably a per-process resource limit problem.
> }
> } No, I don't have any per-process limitation on the memory.
>
> Apparently, though, you may have one on stack space.

There is always a limit. Since it is not possible to detect
allocation failures for the stack, it means that to avoid
random crashes, processes should pre-allocate memory there
and be written in such a way that they don't use more than
pre-allocated. The pre-allocated memory should not be too small,
but should not be too large either, otherwise the memory will
be exhausted too easily.

So, the 8MB default limit for GNU/Linux is very reasonable,
in particular taking into account the fact that a small part
is pre-allocated.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>