Re: [doc] read -qs

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 22:38:03 +0100
Stephane Chazelas <stephane.chazelas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2014-08-03 19:28:41 +0100, Peter Stephenson:
> [...]
> >  )
> >  item(tt(-s))(
> > -Don't echo back characters if reading from the terminal.  Currently does
> > -not work with the tt(-q) option.
> > +Don't echo back characters if reading from the terminal.
> >  )
> >  item(tt(-q))(
> [...]
>
> Thanks.
>
> What about using "locale yesexpr" for that BTW?

Mulling it over, since read -q has a single clear historical meaning
that gets a bit obscured when locales come into it, I think this might
better be done by a tailorable function using read -k, as indeed the
Linux manual page suggests.  We could host a sample function (using =~,
probably) if somebody wanted to write one.

pws