Re: "Automate" use of .distfiles a little bit?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 08:52:47 -0700
> This is probably a question for PWS when he returns, but can anyone think
> of a reason why, in e.g. the Completion subtree, the .distfiles should not
> look like
>
> DISTFILES_SRC='
> .disfiles
> _*
> '
>
> so that explicit names don't need to be added/updated every time completion
> functions are added/changed?

Probably a reasonable change.

> I suppose there's an argument that a developer might have work in progress
> sitting around that shouldn't accidentally get distributed, but wouldn't
> the right solution for that be to always run Util/mkdistree.sh from a
> clean clone of the repository?

I think we're generally doing more work than we need.  This dates from
the days even before CVS.  With git, I think it's fair to assume the
bundle is going to be made from a git repository, where we can check files
against git without even having to rely on the network.

I therfore suggest that at some point we change the code to assume files
that are managed by git are part of the src package unless an assignment
of the form above explicitly indicates otherwise e.g. with something
like DISTFILES_NO_SRC.

pws