Re: What exactly does it mean to complete inside $'...' anyway?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 13:49:36 -0700
> It occurs to me I have no idea what is intended to happen in the case of
>
> % : $'<TAB>x
>
> for any particular values of "x", which might be e.g. $'\07' or $'\M-x'.
> Same goes for
>
> % : $'<TAB>x'
>
> or even
>
> % : $'x<TAB>'
>
> the latter of which doesn't produce any debug warnings but doesn't seem
> to do anything helpful either.

I don't think it's doing anything other than normal completion,
i.e. files in this case.  The only thing special is taking accoung of
how existing characters may be quoted.

Furthermore, I don't think there's ever been any (intentional) effort to
try to interpret the special $'...' quoting when completing inside.
The idea is if you have a complete $'...' you put it there by hand
to get some weird characters onto the command line.  If you're
completing inside it, or it's unfinished you just take what the
completion system gives you.

That doesn't necessarily reflect what's actually happening.

pws