Re: Slowdown around 5.0.5-dev-0

On Oct 24, 12:54pm, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
}
} > Running [zsh-5.0.7]:                     string_test      48631,87
} > Running [zsh-5.0.8]:                     string_test      86302,14
}
} This says there something happened after 5.0.7 and reveals itself on
} OS X, could try to track it with bisect.

What happened is this:

    34451: use mmap() also on Mac OS X

    Let MAP_ANONYMOUS be an alias to MAP_ANON if the former is not
    defined.

Which strongly suggests that using the system malloc() rather than our
own mmap() strategy was the correct thing to do on MacOS, and we should
back that out and make note.  Also might be worth checking whether the
behavior is better on other platforms if we disable mmap().