Re: Possible ZSH bug with IO direction

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, m0viefreak wrote:

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 23:23:04 +0200
From: m0viefreak <m0viefreak.cm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Possible ZSH bug with IO direction

Greetings, m0viefreak (great name, btw).

On 24.04.2016 21:01, Peter Stephenson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:36:44 -0700
On Apr 24,  1:17pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} Mounting the filesystem within Cygwin as binary works here.

Really?  That contradicts what the main.c comment asserts.

So it seems like "binary" isn't quite what it's cracked up to be.

The alternative might be to do something similar in the lower levels of
zsh, i.e. map \r\n to \n when reading shell input.  If done in input.c
it's no worse than doing it in the OS abstraction, and doesn't affect
fd's used by othe programmes.

I think the cygwin_premain0 in main.c is very dangerous.

In fact, bash had the same problem years ago and the hook was removed.
See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00989.html for details.

The hook was removed and replaced with an external control: igncr

This control either must be set via envvar SHELLOPTS before starting bash, or the script must set it explicitly at the top of any script being run/sourced. Not a very transparent or convenient fix in my opinion.

Another example I found:

$ zcat < mc.1.gz > /dev/null
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

zcat is forced to use O_TEXT and fails to decompress the file whil using
$ zcat mc.1.gz'
directy works just fine.

IMHO cygwin_premain0 should be removed completely. As a result,of
course, scripts created in windows editors such as notepad, that contain
CRLF line endings, could lead to syntax errors, but surely that's less
of a problem and easily fixable using a proper editor.

You might think it would be, but I've had people complain about it, hence the hook I introduced. You wouldn't believe the tongue-lashing I received for suggesting people use "binary" mode mounts and just run dos2unix on *all* of their scripts (and input files). Oh yes, "less of a problem" indeed. :-/

--
--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com