Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [PATCH] add-zle-hook-widget zle-line-pre-redraw issue
- X-seq: zsh-workers 38958
- From: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] add-zle-hook-widget zle-line-pre-redraw issue
- Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 04:34:47 +0200
- Cc: zsh workers <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=u3TTyqVRUVOKCGmcv4wFI0ZIbap4CyN5+HnzOSduCOY=; b=w/DUGw/sQIrz+mAVum2eO+6Lxb+T9vO7vjjk1kE3qZ68Dd5nXmNPX7MMhrOPaoiyL9 LOxUh1e+qDFILIYGU391r1OpJopAx8RRy9XMZOoevAI2eE4w/hYjit5VuEbBmg3a2fln dgKRuXm8X79reot5BP8l6Y64Ii9p7feaKBeIiYWJRCVzivMn/w5npfDVg3VXzPiOoUgu u+q8fRhayDcsgIjuvk7QI8vWDH5E5AdLOLKRYAJufMMI1gKN1InMo6boCMic2LKBniKf cu7PMVNXILNlaJ37WMXEM51LEAVUliZtaLAzwg48bQf/JmKfdy7A43Y3St39vWPWItSH /Ypg==
- In-reply-to: <20160724213046.GA27932@tarsus.local2>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20160723212335.GA20872@tarsus.local2> <160723181445.ZM20105@torch.brasslantern.com> <20160724213046.GA27932@tarsus.local2>
On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bart Schaefer wrote on Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 18:14:45 -0700:
>> On Jul 23, 9:23pm, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> } The reason appears to be that, while in azhw:zle-line-init $WIDGET is
>> } "zle-line-init", in azhw:zle-line-pre-redraw $WIDGET is the name of the
>> } widget the user invoked (e.g., "self-insert"), so the 'zstyle -a' does
>> } not find the registered hooks.
>> If zsh-syntax-highlighting doesn't depend on that behavior, it's probably
>> unlikely that anything else does.
> z-sy-h assumes that zle-line-finish sets $WIDGET, but doesn't assume
> anything else about $WIDGET.
>> } Each of the following alternative patches solves the issue:
>> The "second option" obviously isn't finished / leaves a lot of dead
>> code behind.
> Indeed it isn't: the unidiff I'd sent was not the unidiff I would commit
> if that option is chosen. Its purpose was not to be committed as is,
> only to unambiguously explain what the second alternative was.
> Sorry if that wasn't clear.
>> However, I think the first option is the correct one,
>> unless there's a good reason to leave $WIDGET alone; the context
>> that's being saved/restored by redrawhook() is important, because
>> we're in the middle of an arbitrary other widget
>> This is actually related to what I was saying about it not being
>> appropriate to stick a list of callbacks on any widget.
>> We can easily special-case add-zle-hook-widget to find the name another
>> way for this particular hook. $funcstack for example.
> Okay, so let's wait for Mikael to weigh in, then we can choose between
> making pre-redraw set $WIDGET or making a-z-h-w handle pre-redraw's not
> doing so.
I don't think I made a conscious decision about this when writing the
code, so if there's any dissimilarity between this and other things
it's probably unintentional. I don't use $WIDGET myself in my callback
either. I think I just copied the part that sets args a bit blindly
from another callback, but in that one I bet it uses initthingy->nam
for the rthingy_nocreate() call too. So to summarize, feel free to
Messages sorted by: