Re: Zsh OpenStack completions

Hi,

On 2016-09-07 02:23, Eric Cook wrote:
> On 09/06/2016 08:39 AM, Marko Myllynen wrote:
>>
>> Below is a patch to add completions for several OpenStack related
>> command line clients, including the new common client, openstack(1).
>
> Adding shell completion for openstack seems like something that is
> better fit committing to their respective project(s). Since it's a
> very active moving target I would imagine by the completer becoming
> dated fairly quickly. Committing it there would also (possibly) have
> more eyeballs that actually use openstack to help out too.

Yes, it is *very* fast moving target, that's why the implementation is
client/command agnostic - I'm unaware of any client ever switching from
the old style bash-completion command to the new style complete command
so that's the reason I think this should be relatively stable approach;
I'm sure nobody here wants to / can keep track of the each client
supported already (more perhaps to come). Dealing with over dozen
OpenStack projects to get completions included (and then later making
sure downstream packagers include them as well) also sounds like quite a
lot of work.

> _systemd would be the most recent example of this. We had a completer
> distributed with zsh. It wasn't kept up to date and people started to
> maintain completers in the systemd git repo. It actually caused
> confusion in #zsh for a few people when they noticed some commands wasn't
> showing all of the options expected on some systems and not others. Since
> two completers for systemd's utilities were in $fpath where as another
> OS decided to delete _systemd from zsh's source when packaging it.

I think _systemd completions are a good fit for systemd upstream (like
_pcp completions for PCP upstream which I contributed some time earlier
this year). However, given the fact that there's nothing OpenStack
client/command specific here except for the bash-completion vs complete
vs swift divide I think it would be feasible to have _openstack in zsh
upstream.

Thanks,

--
Marko Myllynen