Re: Strange completion display with wrong matcher-list

Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The purpose of the -A option is something different

I know, but it is this option which "caused" the _argument
function to work as I had expected in <zsh-5.3 concerning ->.
Only now I learnt that this expectation is considered a bug
in >=zsh-5.3.

Today I fixed all 19 of my packages which had completion files
relying on this expectation...
https://github.com/vaeth?tab=overview&from=2017-01-07

> Also, an initial - is typically actually valid in things like files and
> patterns so it wouldn't be right to not try to complete them.

I am not so sure: Except for echo - which is very special - and
commands which do not accept any options at all, I do not know
_any_ real-world example of a command for which

command -some_argument

is valid without interpreting the argument as an option.
(The only exception is sometimes a bare "-", but for this
completion is rather pointless...)

Of course, as you mentioned, for some commands the situation
is different after a non-option, and for most commands the
situation is different after "--": But that's what -A
and -S are for.