Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Add redis-db module to upstream?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 41249
- From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Add redis-db module to upstream?
- Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:04:46 +0000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= daniel.shahaf.name; h=content-transfer-encoding:content-type :date:from:in-reply-to:message-id:mime-version:references :subject:to:x-me-sender:x-me-sender:x-sasl-enc; s=fm1; bh=SZTyeA dfapf2oCat4iYgOP+FN4C3nE6MoRAkJwI4GKE=; b=Q/hDKGDrzSTb7mYBWqYf9J 0uHtxg4CwLZG5PS68oGYhTCgZ08+kNQ7a9REjzbM2kjixs/JtbNcTDRnrkTPXtJB JZW1RpSaJv/IKFdo7VWum6p0d15QI1tj+J5lhMru8l4QiPoKZz2fxM5bUcGz8cR9 tIEsEY81TFvC/Ko0glRhfJ51/DJraf178LhVNFIKkmUWIfAOlsdLqzJuVhMAqhl3 mULhoVGGm9EnaWBaO8XKAyJdGQA6zy7dCwkNA6WXhRNTO0Xt7n4oj9Ed+MysIdVX UbU1x1B2EfnrxJpU3QxPqayAlAwRk0XD3+rIBtBDu1BrffZvm01xIRoDGSDWXNwg ==
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=content-transfer-encoding:content-type :date:from:in-reply-to:message-id:mime-version:references :subject:to:x-me-sender:x-me-sender:x-sasl-enc; s=fm1; bh=SZTyeA dfapf2oCat4iYgOP+FN4C3nE6MoRAkJwI4GKE=; b=n9jGP/GlOfrQ3bFdi2BC0/ 04AQM9thcM04xDgJl6Ps3FczYISUxtR+hvn38lsZsY7R/R5vftjJT9f6Kjeqgjml hNjHA8Fqe2imxi9rqxqTDPfEbBcjgaNai0Bbm/b22C9QEPn5fQQURn711PSeK3PN BWnrXw4Y76tA6JlRszHtTq241pFOuLv7866w/0QubCWVLVV8Jh2q8lWFiy8B881m EtJrJIVuph25a/qFbDB6ZrnoK4BKdySDKMvYwfY5MujTYrOAoYqjOghJRoDb0i6p f9pKAovktoKKyGmf2wG4A2s/nD/N19P/KFVzt/MviJuTLr826W2frXzqDz9GByHg ==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <etPan.59322bde.6763845e.1a9@MacMini.local> <170603100908.ZM13230@torch.brasslantern.com> <1496518513.3749643.997726048.04EDD04E@webmail.messagingengine.com> <email@example.com>
Oliver Kiddle wrote on Wed, 07 Jun 2017 11:29 +0200:
> On 3 Jun, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > > I have no objection to including this module's functionality in the base
> > > distribution. However, I don't think we should just chuck it in there
> > > exactly as-is.
> > This module was created 10 days ago. It has had no bug reports, no pull
> > requests, and no code contributors other than its author. Does it have
> > any users besides Sebastian? Will anyone on this list use this module
> > in his setup?
> I'm not sure that those points are entirely fair because building zsh modules
> separate from the zsh tree is not trivial. It's a significant barrier
> both to any potential contributor trying the module and to long term
> usage as a separate module. If it was easy then it might be better to
> keep such modules separate but it isn't.
Then let's make it easier for people to develop and install separately-
As to keeping such modules separate, this _is_ git, so module developers
could maintain their modules in forks of zsh.git, and users could
install modules by merging all modules they want to use into their tree
before running Util/preconfig. I don't consider this a solution; only a
workaround until the core's build system is improved to make it easier
to use externally-maintained modules.
The build system improvement is independent of whether the redis module
should be in the core.
Messages sorted by: