Re: Test failures in --disable-multibyte

On Thu, 2020-01-02 at 11:30 +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> A build-time warning, then?  I.e., have configure warn if --disable-multibyte
> is selected (manually or automatically), or perhaps use a #warning at
> the C level.  It could say something to the effect of "Compiling without
> multibyte support is known not to pass 'make test'.  We recommend to
> rebuild with --enable-multibyte.  Alternatively, fix the test suite and
> send us the patches".
>
> This will at least make the issue known to anyone who tries to disable
> multibyte support for whatever reason.

It sounds like a pretty sensible idea to mention this at the end of the
configure output, where there are a couple of other messages for issues
(typically linking but anything configuration related would seem to be
appropriate).

My gut feel would be warnings in C would be more appropriate if you knew
some actual bit of code it was compiling needed fixing, but other people
may have different attitudes to this.

pws