Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [PATCH] sh/ksh init: don't initialise lowercase parameters
- X-seq: zsh-workers 45362
- From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] sh/ksh init: don't initialise lowercase parameters
- Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 04:17:18 +0000
- In-reply-to: <CAH+w=7aya1dK8OxTaDsaJNavfamVbhXJtgp53YJwhgKVbJN8fA@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <email@example.com> <20200129084948.GA9843@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <CAH+w=7aBvmWXAVfshuowcm-+cSGQjQi7ZJSovHWW3Dj+Bm3iQg@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAH+w=7aya1dK8OxTaDsaJNavfamVbhXJtgp53YJwhgKVbJN8fA@mail.gmail.com>
Bart Schaefer wrote on Wed, 29 Jan 2020 16:00 -0600:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 3:36 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I see. Yes, we can bless $HISTCHARS as the preferred spelling for
> > native mode and keep $histchars for csh compatibility…but doesn't this
> > imply that we should add a $SIGNALS variable (and possibly deprecate
> > $signals)?
> No, I was not suggesting any change to native mode. I'm merely saying that
> if we can't have the lower-case version in sh/ksh modes, we need the upper
> case one there. $signals is strictly informational, so it doesn't need to
> be present in those modes at all, but HISTCHARS is writable and controls
> features of history.
Why does HISTCHARS need to be available in sh/ksh modes?
About $signals, it's too late to change zsh mode special parameters to
uppercase (e.g., $path). Perhaps we should use uppercase for any new
parameters we introduce going forward, but that's another conversation.
Messages sorted by: