Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: why can't we use "vared" in a subshell in interactive shells?
- X-seq: zsh-workers 45402
- From: Stephane Chazelas <stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: why can't we use "vared" in a subshell in interactive shells?
- Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 22:41:13 +0000
- Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <CAH+w=7bPzojvddGXkLhYgwyoZZXBJtihcfmS386YxJwfPANrqw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Workers List <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <email@example.com> <CAH+w=7bPzojvddGXkLhYgwyoZZXBJtihcfmS386YxJwfPANrqw@mail.gmail.com>
2020-02-08 13:23:46 -0800, Bart Schaefer:
> Looks like an overlooked side-effect to me. The assumption being made
> is that in interactive mode, if USEZLE is false then it's because the
> user has explicitly unsetopt'd it, not because it was temporarily
> disabled on entry to a subshell.
> There are two ways we could go here:
> 1) Assume that if the user has invoked vared, then it's OK to run ZLE
> even if it was otherwise turned off, and just remove that test
> entirely. (The check for TERM == emacs is mostly obsolete anyway, if
> we're attempting to do that we should be looking for [absense of]
> certain terminfo values, not a specific terminal type.)
> 2) Figure out some way to remember the old state of USEZLE when
> entering the subshell, and check that in bin_vared instead of checking
> the current state.
The threads at https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2000/msg02518.html and
http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2000/msg02367.html do bring some context.
(for the first one, the threading of messages on the website
seems broken, you can see the other messages in the discussion
Messages sorted by: