Re: why can't we use "vared" in a subshell in interactive shells?

2020-02-08 13:23:46 -0800, Bart Schaefer:
[...]
> Looks like an overlooked side-effect to me.  The assumption being made
> is that in interactive mode, if USEZLE is false then it's because the
> user has explicitly unsetopt'd it, not because it was temporarily
> disabled on entry to a subshell.
>
> There are two ways we could go here:
> 1) Assume that if the user has invoked vared, then it's OK to run ZLE
> even if it was otherwise turned off, and just remove that test
> entirely.  (The check for TERM == emacs is mostly obsolete anyway, if
> we're attempting to do that we should be looking for [absense of]
> certain terminfo values, not a specific terminal type.)
> 2) Figure out some way to remember the old state of USEZLE when
> entering the subshell, and check that in bin_vared instead of checking
> the current state.
[...]

Thanks.

The threads at https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2000/msg02518.html and
http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2000/msg02367.html do bring some context.

(for the first one, the threading of messages on the website
seems broken, you can see the other messages in the discussion
at http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2000/date3.html)

--
Stephane