Re: [BUG] Issue with set built-in in 5.8 (?)

On 19 Feb 2020, at 03:37, Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tracing through POSIX to get an exact answer can be a bit of a pain

I found it:

  https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_08_01

When encountering a 'special built-in utility error', a non-interactive shell
'shall exit'. The documentation for the set built-in doesn't seem to
anticipate any errors besides those related to option-parsing, but i guess the
'letter of the law' is clear; if we were going to follow it strictly, we'd
leave set the way it is.

idk. On balance, maybe we should just let it be until someone complains (which
probably won't happen). Otherwise, with all of the weird variables in this
code path, we could be tinkering with it until next February...

dana