Re: Opening a file descriptor for reading with exec breaks vim shell

On 17 May 2020 at 10:03 Stephane Chazelas <stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The patch below fixes those, but I have to admit there's a lot
> of the related code in zsh I don't understand, a lot of the
> behaviour I don't understand either. It's possible that patch
> could break things related to clone, zpty, set -m or opening tty
> devices, but it seems to me that some of that is already quite
> broken.

Should really follow up to this...

Actually, I don't think set -m was ever mended; I think it's always
been a bit of an afterthought that sets up a process group, but
doesn't do a lot else.  I'd be inclined not to worry about
side effects of this patch unless there's something demonstrably
worse, since it's fixing something you would expect to work
(and that doesn't depend on zsh wizardry).

pws