Re: Ctrl-\ during completion makes zsh quit

On 2020-08-02 02:33:17 +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote on Sat, 01 Aug 2020 17:10 +0200:
> > Then ';' followed by [Tab]. I get:
> >
> > zsh: do you wish to see all 6124 possibilities (3062 lines)?
> >
> > Type [Tab] again, then Ctrl-\. I get:
> >
> > [...]
> > _gem                                lnstat
> > _generic  ^\zsh: quit (core dumped)  zsh -f
> >

> And what's the bug?  It's quite normal for SIGQUIT to kill programs
> even when SIGINT does not.

But from the prompt (and in the completion menu), SIGQUIT doesn't kill
zsh. This is not consistent.

> If anything, I'd say the bug here is that SIGINT doesn't cause the
> listing to be aborted immediately, not that SIGQUIT does exactly
> what it's supposed to do.

Well, I initially did SIGQUIT because SIGINT didn't do anything.

Moreover, why does

  zstyle ':completion:*' menu select=long

make the completion so slow?

And shouldn't the output be limited to the screen, like with a pager?

> > BTW, in addition to the SIGQUIT issue, it shouldn't be that easy to
> > generate so much output for the completions (I did that by mistake).
>
> It's not easy.  There was an explicit prompt which you had to affirm.

Except that I didn't see it because I expected something else.
[Tab][Tab] normally gives the first completion with my settings,
and that's why I typed that so fast. The issue is that [Tab]
*also* has the effect to answer the question as "yes".

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>