Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: More rabbit-holes with unset variables
- X-seq: zsh-workers 47647
- From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: More rabbit-holes with unset variables
- Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:20:55 -0600
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/47647>
- Archived-at: <http://www.zsh.org/sympa/arcsearch_id/zsh-workers/2020-11/CAMP44s2Ge-pOn1-gEXkq%3DoJX7ohL-b_20s9mJZAo1LB%3Dow%2BDuw%40mail.gmail.com>
- Authentication-results: zsh.org; iprev=pass (mail-wm1-f47.google.com) smtp.remote-ip=22.214.171.124; dkim=pass header.d=gmail.com header.s=20161025 header.a=rsa-sha256; dmarc=pass header.from=gmail.com; arc=none
- Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc; bh=KGOAr1P53/6PpiO3F3J7JURApCVlfKTL1N6KLFqr4Ec=; b=Yi+y33omIiB4LVEEkioG8OMPpAtT63RA5LjDnvCoj6LYIArPtqvYlYgUwMM9IZ1jjO hcoBpJG+Q73VcLQfRNzJfPfV4QfarLt7SeYEiqKmaPE149IX9g8m38SVqkmMjovARsmw olF6qyx8fLMfuLR/JY0PnS/NfxGfcNq8xaVpRD71/6ddhBIaR8HXX7BWtBtesGHLJ64i QEyfr8HDlYYmSgdGQ8Kig19pdXVV/ttCnQMvOodXjbdK0ufG7qWVToOsmuqzkYxjqS1u JV9PUem6DVnfJbfbmDgr2p3pZ8ZdE/60BYmhHZ0JfKCd9k+sB/WGQtFK+81QqVsfek4y r73A==
- In-reply-to: <CAH+w=7bs9E7whJLugMLOXG05R-2S8Hjt+OOKK_KN+SMxv-Vvaw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <http://www.zsh.org/sympa/arc/zsh-workers>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- List-owner: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe%20zsh-workers>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe%20zsh-workers>
- References: <CAH+w=7Zag5MG5D=cRS2UMSsqJ0t=iw5MH9j8=HBO1Q77nbs03w@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAMP44s0-ki=TBzTwnqx10FcTLX4mbphwN88UCx0+h97JTecBWA@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7bs9E7whJLugMLOXG05R-2S8Hjt+OOKK_KN+SMxv-Vvaw@mail.gmail.com>
- Sender: zsh-workers-request@xxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 2:42 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the language you're quoting was rejected, though not for that
> specific reason.
Yes, but that's not what I asked.
I asked who objected to the specific behavior I quoted.
> In fact, unless the notion of typed variables (integer, array, etc.)
> is excluded, that language is ambiguous, because (as I've mentioned
> elsewhere) the behavior of an "unset" variable in other contexts (such
> as assignment) is that it takes on the attributes from the assignment;
> so a the only useful "declared but not set" variable is a simple
And by scalar I suppose you mean string.
Yes, I agree in the context of typed variables it's much more
debatable what the initial value should be.
Which is why since the start I only mentioned variables for which the
user didn't specify a type.
Messages sorted by: