Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> P.S. Has the point been made that zrestart loses state?  E.g.,
> variables/styles set won't persist through a zrestart.

That's actually intentional, because those variables/styles would not
be present with a fresh shell anyway; if they were meant to persist
they should be in the zshrc.

However, it occurs to me that none of the proposals addresses making
sure that the history has been saved (history is not written upon
"exec" and would be saved in reverse order by unwinding a chain of new
shells).