Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48532
- From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Rewrite of zsh-newuser-install (Mikael's subthread)
- Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:00:25 +0000
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48532>
- In-reply-to: <CAH+w=7aN694NJz3k_z6eGadu6d+8c66szXndy3sVf=yaceBojg@mail.gmail.com>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAHYJk3Sh8ErYyObh=nURosOnj4+bsB1WsxhOi_-e=n_1fjAQ6Q@mail.gmail.com> <E9B97A4D-3406-449E-86FD-6CC5DFC21935@gmail.com> <CAHYJk3RUX6MyFB7o2WFE=P0-=QQ=gv49Z3VTyu+9Zm9fzmoB4A@mail.gmail.com> <F9A77ABF-D672-40F4-90DC-985DE26D1A90@gmail.com> <email@example.comG.-OTF> <20210409230439.GD6760@tarpaulin.shahaf.local2> <CAH+w=7aN694NJz3k_z6eGadu6d+8c66szXndy3sVf=yaceBojg@mail.gmail.com>
Bart Schaefer wrote on Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 16:55:40 -0700:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > P.S. Has the point been made that zrestart loses state? E.g.,
> > variables/styles set won't persist through a zrestart.
> That's actually intentional, because those variables/styles would not
> be present with a fresh shell anyway; if they were meant to persist
> they should be in the zshrc.
> However, it occurs to me that none of the proposals addresses making
> sure that the history has been saved (history is not written upon
exec does write history (in my setup, anyway).
> and would be saved in reverse order by unwinding a chain of new
Yeah, it's a bit annoying that history is saved in order the shells were
closed, rather than in chronological order of the commands. E.g., if
shell pid=42 ran a command at noon and shell pid=43 ran a command at
13:00, and I exit 43 before 42, I'd still like the commands to be
written in that order.
I don't have EXTENDED_HISTORY set, though…
Messages sorted by: