Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [PATCH] Fix a logic bug in _zle
- X-seq: zsh-workers 48977
- From: Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix a logic bug in _zle
- Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:53:04 +0300
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/48977>
- In-reply-to: <CAH+w=7YBq1UtKT_E8FTjySU2kQecxetzX8N4CW3JtL-UdGhvfA@mail.gmail.com>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAHLkEDu=pKddp9wtU8C7++ZqNdq3ajBmfjNnB1TN0pMaBn-QJQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7YHiEnxSNh65Z4K+Fuz+x_KyZZycZnUG1ArfhF6hQirmg@mail.gmail.com> <CAHLkEDsedEs-O-6OLaFPdPOGM33n4A9px2sqCtm_rEFA49qmsw@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7YBq1UtKT_E8FTjySU2kQecxetzX8N4CW3JtL-UdGhvfA@mail.gmail.com>
On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 12:56 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:49 AM Marlon Richert
> <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 8:08 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > For purposes of the commit log, we should be told what this means in
> > > terms of a behavior change.
> > Is it good enough this way?
> Better, but you could have just said that in the email text rather
> than embed it in the patch file.
Ah, OK. I thought you meant I should include it in the patch itself.
> However, I can't figure out when $state == widget-function is ever
> true. Did you possibly mean widget-or-function ? If not, can you
> give an example?
Sorry, typo. Yes, I meant widget-or-function. But actually, I realize
now that I made further mistakes in my explanation yesterday evening.
I'll try to explain better.
What happens in the unpatched _zle code is this:
* On line 54, `;&` causes the (widget*) case to always proceed to the
* On line 56, `[[ $state != *function ]] ||` checks to see whether
the flow should actually continue from (widget*) to (function).
* when `[[ $state != *function ]]` is true,
* then we correctly skip the _wanted call on lines 57-58,
* but because the _wanted call is followed by `&& ret=0`
* and because || and && have equal precedence and are left associative,
* then we incorrectly do `ret=0`,
So, to correctly summarize the bug: When $state == widget, _zle
always returns 0, instead of returning 0 for success and non-zero for
failure. The patch fixes this. If you could update the commit message
accordingly, that would be great.
Apologies for the confusion.
Messages sorted by: