Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: [PATCH] Fix a logic bug in _zle
- X-seq: zsh-workers 49172
- From: Lawrence Velázquez <larryv@xxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxx
- Cc: "Marlon Richert" <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix a logic bug in _zle
- Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:31:49 -0400
- Archived-at: <https://zsh.org/workers/49172>
- In-reply-to: <CAHLkEDu6Nbw9mFH7514kKXEPbe06ZbaT=qyW3B=QUthPX9A_Kw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-id: <zsh-workers.zsh.org>
- References: <CAHLkEDu=pKddp9wtU8C7++ZqNdq3ajBmfjNnB1TN0pMaBn-QJQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7YHiEnxSNh65Z4K+Fuz+x_KyZZycZnUG1ArfhF6hQirmg@mail.gmail.com> <CAHLkEDsedEs-O-6OLaFPdPOGM33n4A9px2sqCtm_rEFA49qmsw@mail.gmail.com> <CAH+w=7YBq1UtKT_E8FTjySU2kQecxetzX8N4CW3JtL-UdGhvfA@mail.gmail.com> <CAHLkEDu6Nbw9mFH7514kKXEPbe06ZbaT=qyW3B=QUthPX9A_Kw@mail.gmail.com>
On Tue, Jun 1, 2021, at 4:53 AM, Marlon Richert wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 12:56 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 10:49 AM Marlon Richert
> > <marlon.richert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 8:08 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > For purposes of the commit log, we should be told what this means in
> > > > terms of a behavior change.
> > >
> > > Is it good enough this way?
> > Better, but you could have just said that in the email text rather
> > than embed it in the patch file.
> Ah, OK. I thought you meant I should include it in the patch itself.
> > However, I can't figure out when $state == widget-function is ever
> > true. Did you possibly mean widget-or-function ? If not, can you
> > give an example?
> Sorry, typo. Yes, I meant widget-or-function. But actually, I realize
> now that I made further mistakes in my explanation yesterday evening.
> I'll try to explain better.
> What happens in the unpatched _zle code is this:
> * On line 54, `;&` causes the (widget*) case to always proceed to the
> (function) case.
> * On line 56, `[[ $state != *function ]] ||` checks to see whether
> the flow should actually continue from (widget*) to (function).
> * However,
> * when `[[ $state != *function ]]` is true,
> * then we correctly skip the _wanted call on lines 57-58,
> * but because the _wanted call is followed by `&& ret=0`
> * and because || and && have equal precedence and are left associative,
> * then we incorrectly do `ret=0`,
> So, to correctly summarize the bug: When $state == widget, _zle
> always returns 0, instead of returning 0 for success and non-zero for
> failure. The patch fixes this. If you could update the commit message
> accordingly, that would be great.
ping for further feedback on or committing of 48969
Messages sorted by: