Re: Branching (was Re: We should get 5.9** out soon)

On Sun 3 Apr 2022, at 12:04, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The benefit of a separate release branch is that we don't have to
> coordinate a code freeze among the full group with "git push" access.
> On the other hand, if we want to introduce "long-term support" for
> major version numbers, having a branch to which events like the 5.8 ->
> 5.8.1 security release could be pushed would be the way to go.

Yes, these were the two situations i was thinking of that could benefit
from having separate branches. Branching off at release-freeze time and
then back-porting any necessary additions from master is the method i
have experience with, but maybe some people on the team would be annoyed
by the extra steps

dana