Re: Proposal: Use Markdown syntax for README and other documentation

Markdown's fine for what it's does --- the only requirement I'd suggest before we start
using it is that there is a firm plan to do something with it, e.g. integrate it
into a website.  I've been a bit bemused before staring at carefully formatted
package documentation and wondering how I'm supposed to render it and having done
a bit of research tentatively concluded I'm probably not supposed to and then
wondered what's the point and why I had to go through this exercise in the first
place...  If there *is* a point, that's another matter.

Pruning down README sounds sensible, too, though that probably needs a separate
thread.

pws