Re: The request of words matter updated

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Lawrence Velázquez <larryv@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Illumos uses "manager" and "subsidiary"
> AIX uses "controller" and "worker"

Well, that's no fun.  It means there's no "term of art" we can adopt.
On the other hand, I guess, it means we don't have to worry about
confusing future programmers, because they'll already be confused.

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022, at 2:20 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > Should we plan for this change to track the library terminology?
>
> Are Linux or the BSDs planning on making similar changes?

I'm sure they're at least aware of the general trend toward
eliminating this sort of terminology, I've been seeing it discussed in
other contexts for more than a decade.

In this particular context I'd probably choose something like
superior/inferior ... neither subsidiary nor worker really fits what
that half of the PTY pair is doing, IMO.  They sound like words chosen
for a global search-and-replace over a codebase nobody was willing to
actually read.