Re: Minimum POSIX standard

On 10/26/2022 3:18 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 6:52 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My personal opinion is that development should use at least the
POSIX-1.2001 standard.  It's 20 years old.  That's surely old enough for
any system still running.  (It's  certainly old enough that any such
system is not supported by the vendor)
OTOH any system not supported by the vendor is exactly one where
somebody might be trying to build their own zsh binary.
Trust me, they're used to the frustration and having to settle for older versions.  I never could get a gcc version more recent that 4.9 to build on HP-UX. And that's still technically supported. (Practically OTOH) :)

That said, I thought we standardized on c99 rather than c89 quite some time ago.
Maybe I missed it, but the development guide kept talking about C89 and not confusing K&R compilers from what I read.