Re: RFE: Enable Shell Hotkey: ctrl+u

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 5:47 PM Todd E Thomas <todd.dsm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please implement the Control-u functionality as described above. Or, given the functionality exists, simply bind to ctrl+u by default.
>
> I hear this as an occasional complaint from a few of us old geezers (like me) who have a lot of muscle memory invested into these shortcuts. Time to ask for help :-)

This is as it is because of even older geezers who have muscle memory
for the way "stty kill" works, and for 4.x BSD where ^U is the kill
character by default.  Of course it can be argued that stty kill
deletes the whole line only because it's not possible for the cursor
to be anywhere other than at the end of the line in the stty driver,
so the readline choice is not entirely unreasonable.

Anyway, you're looking for
bindkey ^U backward-kill-line