Re: possible PATCH to colors function

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 6:18 AM Roman Perepelitsa <roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 12:27 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I get the same results with your code.  But the patch has to do with ${color[bold]}.
> Without faint the result of bold is the same for <color> and <bright-color>.  With
> faint the result is different intensity.

I haven't been following this discussion very closely. It's not
unlikely that my comment will miss the mark.

Don't think you missed the mark.  I believe it is all in the way you look
at it.  I see  your point.  The patch adds another intensity that bold doesn't
do.  Even though gnome, xfce, xterm ... all seem to do somewhat the
same thing with bold, I was looking for a way to get another option with
bold when producing output.  Personally ... I believe if using a different
intensity color you should  get a different intensity bold output. It appears
I'm somewhat alone in this thinking.

Most graphical terminal emulators have an option that controls the
CLIP

FWIW, I always uncheck "Show bold text in bright colors" or its
equivalent in all terminals that I use. I want "bold" to mean the same
thing in the terminal as everywhere else: use the bold font, keep the
same color. In addition, I find it counterintuitive when bold text
changes its color ONLY if the original color was in 0-7.

Roman.

Need to think about this.  Bold doesn't seem to care if the colors were 0-7
or 8-15. Bold always outputs 8-15. What my patch was trying to do was to
correct this. As I originally said, this is a patch for the group's consideration.
I'll respect whatever the group believes is correct.

FWIW I also attached some screenshots from xfce with bold turned on and off.

Regards,

Jim