Re: zsh in shell-mode

>>>>> In <970108220902.ZM8065@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>>>> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:09:02 -0800,
>>>>> "Bart" == "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Bart> On Jan 8, 11:17pm, Vinnie Shelton wrote:
} Or do people use M-x term?

Bart> I've never really tried it.  I did just now, for a couple of minutes,
Bart> and was not impressed.

} Suggestions/comments?

I used term for some time. Actually, I rewrote term function to create
buffers with (default) names like *hostname.domain*<num>, so they were
easier to distinguish.

Bart> If you're in emacs, you're in emacs.  Trying to get it to let
Bart> some other process do anything like text editing is like trying
Bart> to put back pulled teeth.

In fact, zsh works reasonably well in term-char-mode. That way I get
zsh's completions and zle. (Set TERM to vt100 :) In fact, even
programs like less work though it's somewhat silly to use them in
emacs buffer.

Pros: Get all output in emacs buffer automatically, and can use other
emacs facilities. In character terminal, no need to use screen.

Cons: At least in XEmacs-19.13/14 there was a bug in term; editing
multiline commands at the bottom of the emacs window caused an
error. (Hmm, couldn't reproduce it just now with XEmacs-20.0
beta. Looks like I might give it a try again...) If emacs is doing
something else, using term might be a bit difficult.

So run multiple emacsen? Quite heavy terminal emulators, though
there's no need to have a separate emacs for each shell :)

(I'll) have to rewrite my startup & wm stuff to make usual connections
through emacs - and use different ports for different gnuserv
processes.

--
Pekka Marjola * pema@xxxxxx * http://www.iki.fi/pema/ * PGPid 0x2865206D