Re: Completion function for bitkeeper?

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> For '*:desc:{_foo}' style actions, this is run:
>
>   eval "$action[@]"
>
> and for '*:desc: _foo', this is run:
>
>   eval "action=( $action )"
>   "$action[@]"
>
> Can anyone tell me what practical difference that makes, if any?
>
> What might be a good plan is to deprecate the initial space feature and
> then, by only documenting expl under the {eval-string} form of action,
> it will be easier make things clear in the documentation.

I don't think we *need* both, and the brace is clearer --- more to the
point, use of the space is almost completely opaque, plus it's hard to
search for in the documentation.  So switching the code makes sense.
However, we might need a pointer in case people wonder about it, and
since the documentation consists of one sentence it's not clear how much
difference it makes to change it there (except to say it's deprecated).

What about a single unquoted space to indicate no matches?  Why do we
need the space at all?  Surely if there's nothing there it indicates no
possible matches?  It's all a bit Zen-like.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com