completions broken for root user

I recently upgraded zsh on my FreeBSD machine, and now the freebsd specific completions are broken for the root user only...

As my user, if I do:

$ pkg_info zsh<tab>

it completes.

As root:
# pkg_info zsh<tab>
_arguments:340: _bsd_pkg_pkgs_and_files: function definition file not found

# which _bsd_pkg_pkgs_and_files
_bsd_pkg_pkgs_and_files () {
        # undefined
        builtin autoload -XUz
}

(if I do the same which command as my user, i get the function definition...)

my $fpath variables are the same in both shells, and both contain /usr/local/share/zsh/4.2.5/functions/Completion/BSD/, which has the _bsd_pkg containing that function...

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Scott