Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
- X-seq: zsh-users 15092
- From: Simon Friedberger <simon+zsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Assorted questions
- Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:23:16 +0200
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
I'll just make a list with my questions. :)
1. Can I give background color to empty spaces.
I've adapted the example in the wiki at
to show a different background color when in vi command mode.
You can see what I did here
Just in case that the details matter.
This approach has two problems.
a) The empty background isn't colored. This isn't really a
problem but it would be nice if it was. Is it possible?
b) I have a little smily in my prompt for return status 0 and
the return status for anything else. This is reset when I change
mode but it shouldn't. Any fixes?
2. I'm a fan of keeping things simple so I'm a bit irritaded by
some of the options. Maybe you can explain a good use-case to me.
a) accept-and-hold seems to be the same as <ENTER>^p
b) history-search-back(for)ward and
seem to be the same as ^r
I know that there is a subtle difference but I don't see
how it matters in practice.
3. The zle section of the guide suggests a binding with
bindkey -rpM viins '\e['
to make <ESC> unambiguous but I tried with $KEYTIMEOUT set to
something high and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I
have that binding or not. Can anybody suggest an experiment
where the difference shows?
4. I would like to have some history magic. It would be nice if
^p/^n (or up/down) just switched through the local history but
^r/^s searched through all history entries. I used to have
shared history set but it irks me that when a long command
finished I cannot just press up and change a paramter and run it
The man page suggests that there is a set-local-history binding
but I cannot find any documentation on it.
Alright, that's all for now. heh
Messages sorted by: