Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Please fix history-search-backward/forward
- X-seq: zsh-users 15338
- From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Please fix history-search-backward/forward
- Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:54:37 +0300
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=CfVt8z6LCISoXK4+KDe6va+YWPvOvxMwrl0JWgvlb50=; b=ieQgH21IFx6LAG6j6alY+Ri1RXh0LO+B482ajNxxcoiiju817qn/CMHNLQ5zGF+xbt PzEhW8BcZWm7OCqvfazmieHrYiJXSePvBCYL0uNgzFB0m7zJMjcQTAdx4cP8RT3od5Kn hz42tX8ZyFIEu4Wxqi+iMXDGlGReJSgL4/qLc=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; b=kzQKxgGN8Mja5qUoZknELiWxGDMzROteuohPREOgzgqkqYRLEgzebdPSB4fHK86o8f izPOilE7wOgH0zUhb5GUfp4EjVEAqxTRHz/HqOxBC2iSVxB46m1fyc4oe//5O1DgSMJP 1l3yuZ/OfA4sbjYP1tfjsw7dOqR5WAQymkVWs=
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
Search backward in the history for a line beginning with the first
word in the buffer.
GNU readline says:
Search backward through the history for the string of characters
between the start of the current line and the point.
I don't see why anybody would want zle's behavior. When I type "git
check<TAB>"; I expect the whole text to be searched; if I wanted only
the first word, I would type only the first word "git <TAB>". There's
absolutely no advantage of zle's way.
Now, it possible to workaround that behavior through
history-search-end. However, I would expect such basic
functionality to be a one-liner configuration, or even better, just
make zle's history-search-backward work like that by default.
Moreover, it seems nobody has found necessary to workaround readline's
behavior to mimic zle's behavior, and with good reason I think.
This is a small issue, but it would improve the initial experience of
people trying zsh.
Messages sorted by: