Re: cygwin chere not working with zsh version 4.3.10 but worked for 4.3.9

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Peter A. Castro wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, reckoner wrote:
>
> > Dear Ben:
> >
> > It turns out that commenting out CHERE_INVOKING fixed problem.

(To give credit where it's due: Peter originally pointed out CHERE_INVOKING.)

> > Evidently, there was no CHERE_INVOKING environment variable.
> >
> > Mysterious.
>
> This implies a change to chere, rather than zsh, but I don't think
> that's the case, since you mentioned it worked previously with zsh
> 4.3.9.  The code in /etc/zprofile concerning CHERE_INVOKING has not
> changed between versions.  And yet, Ben mentioned 4.3.10 working with
> chere for him as is.  This will require some debugging, I suppose.

As another data point, I added:
echo CHERE_INVOKING=X${CHERE_INVOKING}X

to my /etc/zprofile, and it echoes:
CHERE_INVOKING=XtrueX

So the versions I'm using seem to pass it properly.

> Is there anything special about your cygwin installation?  Are using a
> mix of older Cygwin packages with newer Cygwin packages?  Like, maybe
> chere is 1.5 based?  Zsh 4.3.9 that's in the repository was built
> under Cygwin 1.5, so there might be some relationship if chere is also
> 1.5 based.

Beyond that, the next thing I'd suspect is something in your own startup
files.  (Don't recall whether you mentioned them.)  Before this thread,
I didn't know 'chere' existed, and had my own function to drop me into
my home directory on my old Win XP Cygwin installation (It used to start
me in /usr/bin, presumably the working directory for whatever Zsh
shortcut I had setup.  Worked out-of-the-box on Win7, so I never
installed my hack.)  What Windows version are you running?  Maybe it's a
factor.

A stretch, and mostly out of curiosity, do you have anything in
/usr/share/zsh/site-functions ?

--
Best,
Ben