How to get syntax highlighting working??

Dear fellow Zsh users,

First of all happy Christmas to all of you!

Not so long ago there was a discussion on this mailing list on how to achieve
syntax coloring like it is avaiable in Fish.

This discussion evolved in some implementations e.g. the one on
https://gist.github.com/754803 by x-way.

However, for some reason I cannot get these script running from a simple .zshrc.

Could someone explain to me how I could get it running from a fresh .zshrc ?

Thanks in advance!

Guido van Steen