Re: zsh-newuser-install

On Apr 25,  3:43pm, Martin Vaeth wrote:
}
} I understand that most features are off by default to keep
} compatibility.  However, in interactive shells compatbility
} is not really an issue.  Perhaps one could enable much more
} *interactive* features by default which are actually the
} biggest selling point of zsh.

Unfortunately you're wrong about this.  Changing what is on by default
means that anyone who does NOT use/want a particular feature now has
to update their configuration to explicitly disable it.  Avoiding this
kind of surprise has always been one of our goals.

} At least, some zshrc could be shipped which enables lots
} of these features

Cf. PWS reply to this.

} Some examples not mentioned yet by others:
}
} zstyle ':completion:*' format '%B(%d)%b'
} zstyle ':completion:*' verbose true

Styles are something that would have to be enabled by sourcing a file,
I don't think we want to pack loads of these strings into a module
(especially since the ":completion:..." naming scheme is a convention
entirely created by the shell functions in the Completion/ tree).

We could probably add some zstlye commands to compinit, using the usual
paradigm of testing for the existence of the style before setting it:

    zstyle -m ':completion:*' format '*' ||
      zstyle ':completion:*' format '%B(%d)%b'

Etc.