Re: export

On November 26, 2014 8:43:51 PM EAT, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>All:
>
>> Each process gets a private copy of the environment provided by its
>> parent. An xterm is just a process. In your example you have this
>chain
>> of processes (parent => child):
>>
>>    xterm => zsh => zsh
>>
>> There is no way for an arbitrary zsh process to affect the
>environment
>> of an arbitrary xterm process.
>
>Yeah, I understand the 'inheritance'. I just thought that 'export'
>might
>somehow
>be ramped up to overcome that.
>
>We certainly can do what I want, it's just a little bit of trouble:
>
>  	universal() { echo "$1" >>! /tmp/universal; . /tmp/universal }
>
>And in .zshrc:
>
>   	preexec () { [ -e /tmp/universal ] && . /tmp/universal }
>
>Now in xterm #6:
>
>	pts/6 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aWorking/Zsh $ universal "trash=trash"
>
>	pts/6 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aWorking/Zsh $ echo $trash
>	trash
>
>Now hop over to xterm #12:
>
>	pts/12 HP-y5--5-Debian1 root /aWorking/Zsh $ echo $trash
>         trash
>
>... so we can universally export instantly.  I normally have four
>xterms
>open at the same time, so being able to do that is very handy.
>
>The above is obviously rather crude, but it's simple and it works. And
>you
>can throw a command in there too.
>
>As Kurtis said, it might be dangerous, but I live on the edge ;-)

> >FYI, the "fish" shell does that.
>
> >set -U universal its value
>
> >and that $universal variable (here an array) becomes available
> >in all the fish shells (interactive or not) by the same user on
> >the machine (with all the security implications it entails).
>
>That's very cool, I think we should have it too.

This feature is constantly getting me mad. I have set some variable for testing and some code exported it. Now all shells are in the same state, including the new ones. Super! I am getting mad even though I use fish *only* for testing.

I do not think that this feature should be in a zsh core, especially given that it can easily be implemented as a plugin.