Re: Fwd: more splitting travails

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 7:36 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I'm going to read more often, it's  good for the mind and the sanity:
>
> 1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 % read -rd '' < testfile2 aaa
>
> 1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 % print $aaa    # No " ${aaa[@]} " required!

OK, but now you're back to having a scalar (non-array) variable that
has the newlines embedded in it. Apparently the who thing with (f) and
an array was a snipe hunt?

> 1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 % varis ,m aaa ! this is comment    # I can
> pass the name of the array without the dollar, as I usually do, and:

But ... aaa is not the name of an array, after the foregoing "read".
Or if it somehow is, we're back to an array of one element where that
element has all the newlines within.