Re: Empty element elision and associative arrays (was Re: Slurping a file)

On 2024-01-14 23:01, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
Consider learning about how associative arrays are typically
implemented.  Then you would see that there is no "inevitable"
iteration order; one must be usually be chosen and implemented
explicitly, which is extra complexity that many languages choose
not to bother with.

It would take a deep dive into the subject that I'm not competent to understand anyway.  I take it on faith that it's more trouble than it's worth.  The naive view would be that the array ends up as a block of data that has a beginning and an end and so when one starts reading one will naturally start at the beginning.  But I suspect that it's far more complicated and I don't need to know and wouldn't understand.  Linked lists or something.  Last write = first read maybe.  Doesn't matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_array#Ordered_dictionary