Re: Empty element elision and associative arrays (was Re: Slurping a file)

On 2024-01-18 18:46, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 3:08 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How hard would it be to get the first hash 'right'?
That's not how hash tables work.

I have no idea how they work which is why my comments have little value.  If ksh can do it then it can be done, but as I said, it simply might not be worth the effort and I'm in no position to judge the matter.  I wish I'd gotten that far in C, I'd heard of hash tables but never coded one.  But I did note in that code previous that the order seemed not to change.  Nevermind.