Re: /proc slows % echo /**/*/etc/r*(/N)

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 4:07 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Shouldn't there be an error msg in such cases?

Are you sure there wasn't, somewhere above all that output?  As far as
I can tell there's no way it actually could have finished.  If it
didn't run out of memory, the lengths of some of the generated paths
must have exceeded the system PATH_MAX and stopped the descent that
way.

> Some message would have alerted me to the reality of the loop.

A symlink loop is not detectable without extraordinary measures such
as recording and testing the inode number of every directory visited.