Can't tell the difference in operation between PATH_SCRIPT and NO_PATH_SCRIPT

I’ve been looking over the documentation and I really can’t make sense out of what the PATH_SCRIPT option is supposed to do.

If it’s set, which it is by default, I think it’s supposed to look through directories PATH and try to find the command. But if it’s not set, it doesn’t look through directories in PATH.

At least that’s my understanding. But as a far as I can tell, I can run a command in /bin with or without PATH_SCRIPT option set.

I’m obviously confused about what the docs are saying. Can someone shed light on this for me?