Re: Can't tell the difference in operation between PATH_SCRIPT and NO_PATH_SCRIPT

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024, at 9:00 PM, Steve Dondley wrote:
> I’ve been looking over the documentation and I really can’t make sense
> out of what the PATH_SCRIPT option is supposed to do.
>
> If it’s set, which it is by default, I think it’s supposed to look
> through directories PATH and try to find the command. But if it’s not
> set, it doesn’t look through directories in PATH.
>
> At least that’s my understanding. But as a far as I can tell, I can run
> a command in /bin with or without PATH_SCRIPT option set.
>
> I’m obviously confused about what the docs are saying. Can someone shed
> light on this for me?

The option affects how zsh behaves when invoked without -c or -s
and with a first non-option argument that doesn't contain any
slashes.  In this situation, shells generally try to find and run
a script with that name in the current directory; if there is no
such script, they try to find one in PATH.  PATH_SCRIPT lets you
control whether zsh performs that fallback PATH search.  (It does
not affect other PATH searches.)

	% cat foo.zsh
	cat: foo.zsh: No such file or directory
	% cat dir/foo.zsh
	print foo
	% PATH=./dir
	% /bin/zsh -o PATH_SCRIPT foo.zsh
	foo
	% /bin/zsh +o PATH_SCRIPT foo.zsh
	/bin/zsh: can't open input file: foo.zsh

--
vq