Re: Counting characters in command output?

On 2024-02-15 08:16, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
My little opinion doesn't constitute a detailed proposal for change,
nor does it represent an alternative solution that might have been
applicable in the past. I harbor doubts about its potential to evolve
into anything substantial, acknowledging that any such development
would necessitate effort I'm not prepared to expend. Given the minimal
effort I've dedicated to forming this opinion, I recognize that others
are under no obligation to engage with or comment on it. I've aimed to
express my thoughts modestly to accurately reflect my assessment of
their value, though I concede I may not have fully succeeded. When you
agree with my opinion and wish for a vote, you give it more credit
than it deserves. It's not developed enough for either of these
things.
Understood and taken for granted.  My own thoughts on the subject should be taken in the same spirit and then diminished further due to my lack of experience and knowledge.  It disturbs me when my comments are taken more seriously by others than I take them myself -- they are ... 'investigations' is perhaps the right word.  For example I wasn't suggesting an actual vote, I was musing on the possibility that arbitrary defaults might be determined by polling users as a general principle.  Dunno, I'd stop doing that sort of thing entirely since some strongly object to it, however I do get responses which seems to indicate that some -- notably yourself -- find discussing such matters worth doing.  I myself always come out of it the wiser.  It's an exploration.  Take everything I say very litely.