Re: zsh-2.6-beta17 released

> I'd like to suggest that we go ahead and release 2.6-beta17 (with
> the two little patches) as 2.7, after at most a few days more
> testing and, if necessary, minor patching, and then go ahead with
> starting 2.8beta with the next change.
>
> Zoltan's point that what we have here is far better and far less
> buggy than the last released version is quite correct.  I have been

I would not be that quick with that.  First as Richard planned the next
production release will be zsh-3.0 and the next beta line will be 3.1.

I do hope that there are no serious bugs in beta17 but there may be
portability problems.  Eg. it turned out that not all C preprodessors
understand the #error directive which I used in builtin.c.  I should
probably use some syntactically incorrect code in place of that.  It also
turned out that some macros and variables have the same name which causes
problems with some compilers and this has been there in previous releases
as well but for some reason noone complained.

Also substitution code still needs some revision.  I want it to be more
compatible with sh (this is a big task, with heavy changes in the lexer so
I'm not sure it'll be done before 3.0).

If 3.0 comes out too early some important changes can be missing from it
which would require an other stable release.

Zoltan