Re: 8-bit patch for zle_tricky.c

>Well I do not think that this bug is serious.  The biggest advantage of
>metafication is that does not requite significant changes in the lexer.  I
>see that in your patch you added IBLANK, INBLANK and ISPECIAL types to the
>null character.  I still think that null only needs IMETA.  Adding IBLANK
>just complicates thinkg in the lexer and I do not think it is necessary.

The bug has effect regardless of whether NUL is treated as a blank or
not.  I added the IBLANK etc. bits on the grounds that NUL ought to be
treated as a blank, just as it's in $IFS.  But the shell is indeed
perfectly usable either way, so I won't contest this issue.

>You may ask then why I added it to IFS.  The main reason for that was that
>nulls cannot be passed in arguments to external commands.  But
>iblank/inblank used only on the shell input which does not have this
>limitation.

Adding it to $IFS has no effect in this matter, because zsh does not do
field splitting on normal words.  (It should, at least if SH_WORD_SPLIT
is set.)

-zefram