Re: 8-bit patch for zle_tricky.c

> >Well I do not think that this bug is serious.  The biggest advantage of
> >metafication is that does not requite significant changes in the lexer.  I
> >see that in your patch you added IBLANK, INBLANK and ISPECIAL types to the
> >null character.  I still think that null only needs IMETA.  Adding IBLANK
> >just complicates things in the lexer and I do not think it is necessary.
>
> The bug has effect regardless of whether NUL is treated as a blank or
> not.  I added the IBLANK etc. bits on the grounds that NUL ought to be

I meant that for the lexer it is simpler to treat null as non-blank.  The bug
was there but my latest patch fixed it I hope.

> >You may ask then why I added it to IFS.  The main reason for that was that
> >nulls cannot be passed in arguments to external commands.  But
> >iblank/inblank used only on the shell input which does not have this
> >limitation.
>
> Adding it to $IFS has no effect in this matter, because zsh does not do
> field splitting on normal words.  (It should, at least if SH_WORD_SPLIT
> is set.)

I do not think so.  Neither bash nor ksh93 does this.  Look:

% ksh
$ count () { echo $# ; }
$ IFS=/
$ count as/df/gh
1

SH_WORD_SPLIT only changes the result of substitutions.

Zoltan