Re: HISTCHARS

> > HISTCHARS was changed to histchars quite long ago because both bash and csh
> > use the lower-case version.
>
> Yes, I made that change.  And I've since come to regret it.  I had planned
> on changing it back, but was procrastinating since I'm sure lots of people
> would raise hell.
>
> I think it makes more sense for it to be HISTCHARS, since this is consistent
> with the case of HISTFILE and HISTSIZE.  I now believe this to be more
> important than compatibility with bash or csh.

I think that presently much more people use bash than zsh, especially
because all Linux distributions come with bash as the default login shell.
It is easier to convince these people about the superiority of zsh if we
provide better compatibility.  And probably even more people use csh or
tcsh out there.

Zoltan