Re: Builtin append() and prepend() to PATH, CDPATH, etc.

On Jun 10,  2:22pm, Clinton Bunch wrote:
} Subject: Re: Builtin append() and prepend() to PATH, CDPATH, etc.
}
} On Jun 5,  2:25pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} >
} > } >zsh 4.0:
} > } >
} > } >1.  wzsh (windowing zsh) is now available.  Also, zsh now has colour
} > } >    and menu capabilities on text only terminals.
} > }
} > } It has colour capabilities to some extent: you can put colour sequences
} > } into prompts quite easily.  I don't see any advantage in having zsh use
} > } windows in any way.
} >
} > I tend to agree.  At this point you've rewritten emacs.  Just *get* emacs,
} > and run zsh in a shell buffer.
}
} 	Wrong.  At this point, you've written a shell whose scripts can use
} GUI objects to interact with end users.

Exactly what kind of "GUI objects" are we talking about here?  The only
thing the phrase "windowing zsh" conjures in my mind is something that
looks like a bunch of xterms each running a shell.

It sounds to me like you want wish (the tcl/tk shell).  I don't think
it's appropriate to bloat zsh with a GUI-object-description language.
You can launch wish GUIs from $(...) if you need to feed the results
back into zsh (or any other shell).

} If emacs can do that, it shouldn't.

GNU emacs has an X11 GUI, which can have either Xaw or Motif appearance.
Within that UI, you can have multiple windows (emacs calls them "frames")
each of which shows one or more buffers and has a menu bar that changes
depending on what buffer has focus.  So any GUI object that can be
represented as a pulldown menu or as a prompt with optional text input,
you can construct with elisp.

Whether it "should" do that isn't a topic for this mailing list.

} And, as importantly (at least to some of us), you've written a replacement
} for one of the proprietary components of CDE.

??  Are you sure it's proprietary?

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: